Specifications for cells are getting more difficult to locate and are containing less data, therefore, I thought it might be good to do some informal google search based cell benchmarking. If we pick off some of the most important cells and list the high level specifications and link to other pages, papers and references where they have been tested we could piece together a better picture.
Also, I think we can link to the application benchmarks and use that data as a reference as to what the cell is actually capable of. Of course, their are some great cell specification sheets and we will link to them as well.
Our cell database is now available as an excel download, for $25 you get a yearly pass to access all of our downloads.
- FC4680P – 15Ah LFP cylindrical cell in the Tesla 4680 cylindrical format.
- L600 Astroinno – lithium manganese iron phosphate (LMFP) battery cell
- INR18650 MJ1 – 3.5Ah NMC cylindrical cell
- INR21700 M50 – 5Ah NMC811 + SiOx 21700 cylindrical cell
- E66a – pouch cell used in a number of vehicles, most notably the 800V Porsche Taycan and it’s Audi sister the e-tron GT quattro.
What was originally the Sony cell designs.
The Voltt provides digital twins of battery materials, cells, and systems to lower the timelines of product development. The software platform provides data powered by our industry-leading parameterisation methods to measure the thermal, electrochemical, and ageing properties of battery. The data and models can be used within existing automotive modelling workflows including AVL, Altair, and Thermoanalytics. The suite provides intelligence to inform decision making across entire battery industry, from mine to end-of-life, enabling improvement in the performance, sustainability, and cost of batteries.
- NCR18650B –
- NCR21700A – one of the cells that we need to benchmark and list resources available.
- Unified Cell – a vision from VW to simplify it’s battery packs with one cell design that works across more than 80% of it’s products.
- Sony 1991 Lithium Ion cylindrical cells History and specification.
- 50Ah Lithium Metal Cell – specification sheet released in December 2022. A claimed energy density of 357Wh/kg makes this an interesting development.
- 4680 cell
- Semi-Solid State cells.
What do we need to see on a cell specifications sheet? Of course we need high level data, but I think we need quite a bit more. This is my starter, but I would like to develop this list into a more concise draft for a datasheet.