Whenever you look at a new design of pack it is important to some benchmarking of that design in the context of other packs. Any new pack will be measured against some key pack metrics and hopefully using a standard list of benchmarking data. Hence a key part of BatteryDesign.net is to collect together some of the benchmarking material available for some of the important packs.
The battery pack database is now available as an excel file via a download. This is $25 and gives high level data for a number of battery packs (see page for details).
- 2021 GT quattro – all electric flagship built on the J1 Performance platform shared with Porsche.
- Audi PPE – Premium Platform Electric – a hint at the new electric platform.
- i3 – this electric vehicle with optional range extender has steadily improved in battery capacity with the cell developments from Samsung SDI supporting the progress.
- GEN 5 Battery System – maximises number of cells per module, reduced number of modules and prismatic cell.
- 2021 BMW iX3 – the first vehicle off the Gen5 electrification platform.
- BMW i4 – pure EV
- BMW i5
- BMW i7
- GEN 6 Battery System – this introduces the 4695 and 46120 cylindrical cells, due to be launched in 2025.
- 2022 BTCC Hybrid Battery – an impressive MHEV battery pack designed by Delta Cosworth to hybridise the touring cars over 3 seasons of racing.
- Blade – the cell to pack design based on LFP that achieves 150Wh/kg at launch. Used in the BYD Han.
- e-Platform 3.0 – vehicle platform that takes the Blade technology to the next level with a Cell to Body approach.
- Qilin CTP 3.0 – CATL’s latest design for cell to pack. CATL suggests that this integrated system can increase the energy density to 255Wh/kg for ternary battery systems (NMC, NMCX etc), and 160Wh/kg for LFP battery systems.
- Shenxing – LFP chemistry with a 4C charge rate and all bundled into the CTP pack design
- Dacia Spring Extreme 65hp and Essential 45 hp with 26.8 kWh battery Pack.
- Ducati V21L Moto E Battery – the bike designed for the 2023 season of electric motorbike racing.
- 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning ER – a 142kWh battery pack with an ok energy density of 174Wh/kg
- Mach E – a look at the underbody structure and the battery pack enclosure.
- 2014 to 2018 – Williams Advanced Engineering design and made pack with Xalt cells
- 2019 to 2021 – McLaren Applied Technologies design with Murata cells – Gen 2
- Ultium – the new battery pack architecture from which GM will develop 30 new EV’s with a total volume of 1 million cars a year by 2025.
- GMC Hummer EV – the first vehicle that uses the Ultium battery architecture.
- Honda e – Honda’s first EV urban vehicle.
- e:Ny1 – all electric SUV from Honda
- 2024 Hyundai Ionic 5 N has revised battery chemistry to increase it to 84kWh. The battery operates at a nominal 697V and can deliver a peak of 585kW.
- 2019 Hyundai Kona 64kWh – the 2019 version of the long range EV.
- Sehol E10X Sodium Ion – a VW/Seat joint venture with Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Group Corp. Ltd. (JAC) in China. They have used a Hina Sodium Ion battery pack to demonstrate the technology.
- 2019 Kia Niro – battery pack design and structure shared with the Hyundai Kona. However, where the Kona uses LG cells, the Niro uses SK Innovation
- Regera – 4.5kWh PHEV battery designed by RIMAC
- 2023 Lexus RZ 450e – an interesting if perhaps unremarkable offering in terms of the battery pack.
- 2021 Lexus UX 300e – 288 Panasonic prismatic cells arranged in a 2 tier pack.
- Air Dream Edition
- Air Grand Touring
- Air Touring
- 2021 Speirling – race car with an 800V and 60kWh battery pack. We don’t know much about this and hence have made some estimations.
- eActros Trucks
- AMG PHEV
- HPB80 & HPB150 – dielectric cooled 21700 based pack design.
- EQ – the new all electric cars from Mercedes
- 2021 EQA 250 – compact FWD SUV
- 2021 Mercedes-AMG EQS 53 4MATIC+ – performance luxury electric vehicle offering from Mercedes.
- EQV – V for Van
- EQXX – Cell to Pack design for the Mercedes Vision EQXX battery is just one of the aspects that make this an interesting vehicle. OK, this is a research vehicle designed to push the envelope.
- MG Rubik’s Cube Battery – the SAIC MG Rubik’s Cube battery is an interesting battery pack design. A rectangular and flat section pack designed to work in the Nebular vehicle platform. This platform covers a lot of vehicles from A-class to D-class and saloon, SUV, MPV and sports.
- ES6 150kWh – semi-solid state cells from WeLion delivering 260Wh/kg at pack level
- 2022 Ariya 66 and 91kWh – 2WD and 4WD variants
- e-208 50 kWh 2019 and 51 kWh 2022.
- Taycan Turbo S Performance Battery Plus (2019) – 800V pack that can charge 5 to 80% in 22.5 minutes
- Nevera – a 1.4MW battery is no mean feat of engineering.
- SineStack – this is Rimac’s first move into grid storage.
- R1T – A Nice compact 144 kWh Battery pack with 9 Modules (7776 Cells) 21700 Samsumg 50G.
- Rivian Max Battery Pack – moving to the Samsung 53G cell has increased the total energy content by 8.5kWh
- Spirit of Innovation – officially the world’s fastest all-electric aircraft
- Nexon EV Prime 30.2 kWh and Max 40.5 kWh.
- Pre-launch look at the data around this vehicle – TESLA CYBERTRUCK and Battery Pack
- Model 3
- Model S
- Model X
- 2022 Tesla Semi Specifications – a look at the vehicle specs so that we can then calculate the battery parameters
- Prius 2004 Gen 2 battery pack (1.3kWh NiMh) – this was in the 2004 Prius and is an old pack design, but based on the number of packs made and the success of the Prius HEV this is an important design and benchmark.
- Mirai 2020 battery pack (1.24kWh Li-Ion)
- All-Solid State – vehicle licensed for road use August 2020
- Masahiko Maeda, CTO Toyota Motor Corporation, “Toyota’s Battery Development and Supply“, September 7, 2021
- MEB Platform – Volkswagen ID Family cars such ID 3, 4, 5, 7, Buzz are based on a Modular electric drive matrix (MEB) Chassis. This Chassis contains the battery pack built into the floor for optimal weight distribution.
- Benchmarking ID 3, 4, 5 and Buzz.
- PowerCo Unified Cell – a vision from VW to simplify it’s battery packs with one cell design that works across more than 80% of it’s products.
- Gotion L600 LMFP Astroinno – it appears that VW have signed up to use this cell and hence question is whether this is part of their “Unified Cell” vision.
- XC40 recharge
- 2020 Volvo XC40 Recharge – Two battery pack variants and two cell suppliers.
- 2022 Volvo Truck Battery – two variants of battery package, Flat and Cube, also used by Volvo Penta.