A battery pack enclosure can be in many forms depending on the application. We can break down the functions of the enclosure into these headings:
This just allows us to think about the requirements for the enclosure in a number of ways, some will overlap, but that is fine.
- Mechanical location
- Ingress Protection
- IP Rating system consists of two digits. The first digit represents the degree of protection against the intrusion of solid objects, while the second digit represents the degree of protection against the intrusion of liquids.
- Seal design
- Crash protection
- Crush protection
- Material selection – there are many different materials used in battery pack enclosures.
- Vibration Isolation
- HV protection
- HV isolation
- EMC shield
- Environmental thermal isolation
- Containment of gases emitted by cells
- Containment of fire in case of thermal runaway
- Electrical Protection
- Location and orientation of base
- Frame assembly
- Seal application
- Sealing testing
- Safe transport enclosure
- Accessible for repairs
- Safe transport and handling