India is not far behind on the EV revolution that is coming to Automotive market. AS per autopunditz, total number of BEV sales stood at 48,262 Units a growth of 229% over 2021. Tata Motors leads the charge in India with 41,505 BEV sold a whopping 86% market share which is up from 75% in 2021. Their EV portfolio consists of Tiago EV, Tigor EV, Nexon EV Prime, Nexon EV Max. Tata Nexon EV 29149 units was the best selling EV in Indian Market followed by Tata Tigor EV 11,890. If you are looking to buy one, head to the Tata official website page here.
In this article we will benchmark the battery pack for Tata Nexon EV Prime and max based on the available data today.
The Prime version comes with a battery pack of 30.2 kWh and the Max version with a 40.5 kWh. Electric Motor (permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor) for Prime 129 PS and for Max 143 PS.
- Company Website Specifications: Website link
- total energy [Wh]:
- 30.2 kWh Prime
- 40.5 kWh Max
- usable energy [Wh]:
- peak power [W]:
- continuous power [W]
- nominal voltage [V]:
- 320 V for Prime
- 332.8V for Max
- capacity [Ah]:
- 94.5Ah for Prime
- 126 Ah for Max
- voltage range [V]
- weight [kg]: Battery Pack
- 260 kg for Prime.
- 332 kg for Max
- volume [litres]
- pack dimensions x,y,z [m]
- number of cells [#]:
- Prime: 100s7p – 600 Cells
- Max: 104s8p – 832 Cells
- cell format: Cylindrical Cell 32 mm diameter, 135 mm Height.
- Cell Chemistry: Lithium Iron Phosphate
- cooling system: Liquid Cooled
- cell make and model:
- Cylindrical Cell IFR32135-15Ah
- Manufacturer: Tata Autocomp System Limited (JV with Guoxuan Hi-Tech to manufacture in India). Source
- Specs for Guoxuan from Reseller
- Cell Weight: 270 grams
- Total Cell weight:
- For Prime – 600 cells – 189 kg
- For Max – 832 Cells – 224.64 kg
- pack cost: Replacement Cost 7 Lakh Rs or 8552$ (not sure but looks like for Prime) source
- Charge time [minutes]: (From Company Website)
- 3.3 kW wall box charger – SOC 10% to 100% – 9 hours Prime, 15 hours Max
- 7.2 kW AC Fast Charger – SOC 0% to 100% – 6.5 Hours
- 50 kW DC Fast Charger -SOC 0% to 80% – 60 mins Prime, 56 mins Max
My Initial assumption of 100s7p and 104s9p was not that correct as I was pointed out on linkedIn. I have thus corrected the logic with the table below. The Ah at 1C is 15 Ah but at 0.33C it is 15.8 Ah. The OEM in a spec sheet (Image below from Rushlane) images says 94.5 Ah total capacity for 30.2 kWh pack which comes to out to 15.75Ah for 6 in series. *OEM may use different Ah and Nominal voltage below is my calculations based on data available
Source: rushlane.come article
Battery Pack Manufacturer Plate specifying Weight, Cell Type, Chemistry, Nominal Voltage and Ah.
Key Pack Metrics
- Prime: 116 Wh/kg
- Max: 122 Wh/kg
- Assuming the price of 7 Lakh is for Prime. 283$/kWh (Usable), 254$/kWh (Total)
- Cell to Pack mass ratio:
- Prime: 62% (162 kg / 260 kg)
- Max: 68% ( 224.64 kg / 332 kg)
- Cell to Pack volume ratio
Both of the Tata Nexon packs are performing close to the average in terms of pack mass overhead.
This is the mass of everything in the battery pack except the cells plotted against total pack energy.
We have used this relationship to create a simple calculator for Pack Mass Estimation.
Also, these specifications and metrics can be cross-correlated to check their legitimacy.
Other key features
- BMS design
- HV and LV Connections
- Cooling Connections
- Structural / non-structural pack
- Case material
- Sealing strategy
- Venting strategy
- Durability – % of pack capacity available after 10 years
- Youtube Video on Tata Nexon EV Max. Link