The 2020 launch of the Volvo XC40 Recharge was in FWD and AWD. The battery pack usable energy options were 67kWh and 75kWh.
China vehicles use a CATL prismatic cell and the rest of the world used an LG pouch cell. This later changed with Australia also getting the CATL based design.
- Usable Energy = 75 kWh (total = 78 kWh)
- SoC Window = 96.2%
- Power = 333 kW10s
300kW of motor power and an assumption of 90% efficiency for the inverter gives 333kW at the battery terminals. Without knowing the inverter efficiency this is the assumption.
- Pack Mass = 500 kg
The overall vehicle was obviously not a ground up EV design as can be seen by the battery pack envelope.
Footwells for the rear seat passengers and double-stacked modules makes this a complex and expensive design. The benefit of using a standard size module allows Volvo to build packs for different locations in the world.
The basic enclosure is extruded aluminium beams.
On the top enclosure cover there are two aluminium beams with 3 fixings in each that are “reinforcements” .
Appears that the top cover has structural issues that required a last minute fix. Last minute as you would expect there to be a deep draw section in the cover if this had been seen earlier in the design.
- Enclosure sealing
- Service pressure test = 50mbar held for 10 minutes with pressure drop of less than 1mbar 
The sealing surface is rather long and complex with many steps and height changes. It appears that this is not any easy pack to seal initially or after servicing.
Pressure relief valve consists of two valves in moulded plastic with O rings that are pushed into the front casting of the enclosure.
This appears to be a Gore Polyvent XS .
- Peak charging power = 150 kW
- Time to charge from 10 to 80% SoC = 30 minutes
- Gravimetric Energy Density = 156 Wh/kg
- Gravimetric Power Density = 666 W10s/kg
- Analog Devices Inc.’s battery management system 
The Battery Distribution Unit (BDU) sits on the top rear of the battery pack. The contactors, fuses and BMS can all be accessed by removing aluminium panels . If these panels are removed they have to be discarded and new panels fitted.
- BDU enclosure = diecast aluminium base, pressed aluminium covers
- Bolted to battery pack enclosure
- Main fuse = 500A
- Main +ve = TE EVC 250
- Main -ve = TE EVC 250
- European and US XC40s = LG pouch cells
- China-bound EVs = CATL prismatic cells
- As Volvo goes electric, here’s how it’s making its batteries top-notch, ArsTechnica
- Volvo XC40 Recharge Relies on Analog Devices Battery Management System, DesignNews
- Volvo XC40 Recharge Battery Package Animation, NJVolvo
- Volvo XC40 Recharge (Pure Electric / P8). High voltage battery BDU removal, YouTube
- Volvo XC40 Recharge (Pure Electric / P8). High voltage battery seal check, YouTube
- Gore protective snap in vents, Gore