The 2016 Renault Zoe ZE 40 was the first battery upgrade for the Renault Zoe.
- total energy = 45.3kWh
The total energy versus cell temperature.
The capacity is quite consistent down to a cell temperature of ~5°C. Below this temperature the total energy decreases dramatically.
- usable energy = 41kWh
- Usable SoC = 90%
- peak discharge power 80kW10s
- continuous power [kW]
- nominal voltage = 345.6V
- nominal capacity = 131.2Ah
- voltage range = 240V to 403V
- weight [kg] =305kg
- cells = 185.28kg
- volume pack = litres
- pack dimensions =
- module =
- number of cells = 192
- charge time = reach 80% in 65 minutes 
- up to 43kW charge power
- Pre-conditioning function allows the cabin to be cooled or warmed while charging, before setting off. Convenient for the driver and helping to conserve battery range.
- cell format = pouch
- number = 12
There are 12 modules and each module has 16 cells. The cells in the module are connected as 6s2p. The upper and lower case of the module is plastic with what appear to be aluminium carriers that support the cells and allow pressure to be applied to the surface of the cells.
- cooling system = active air
In the animation of the battery pack  they show a central plastic duct that guides air from the inlet port in the centre of the case to the section down the centre of the modules. Our assumption is the air then flows over the cells / modules and out down both sides of the pack to the air exit ports on either side of the rear case hump.
- cell make and model
- LG Chem E63
- pack cost =
Key Pack Metrics:
- Gravimetric energy density, pack = 149Wh/kg
- Cell = 244.7Wh/kg
- Volumetric energy density, pack = Wh/litre
- Cell = 500Wh/litre
- Gravimetric power density, pack = 262W/kg10s
- Volumetric power density, pack = W/litre10s
- Estimated cost = $/kWh
- Cell to Pack mass ratio = 61%
- module to pack mass ratio = %
- Cell to Pack volume ratio
Other key features:
- The Renault Fire and rescue sheet  shows that for all Zoe models the approach to Extinguishing a traction battery fire propagation is to access the pack from inside the passenger compartment and to fill the pack with water.
- Centralised BMS
Having a centralised BMS means the voltage sense wires are long.
- HV Distribution
- HV and LV Connections
- HV connection on battery at front of pack
- Service disconnect 
- Cooling Connections
- Structural / non-structural pack
- Pack Case
- made by Renault
- Sealing strategy
- Venting strategy
- B Delobel, I Jimenez Gordon, L Leveau, ZOE Battery Durability Field Experience and Vision, AABC Europe 2017
- LG Chem E63 cell specifications
- Renault Zoe Fire and Rescue – all options 2013 onwards
- Locking out RENAULT Zoe HV Connector – youtube on 12V disconnect and then service disconnect
- Renault ZOE – Press Information
- Renault Group Twitter – the ZE40 battery animation